Made of polyurethane, these comfy pillows soften when they come into contact with your body heat, meaning that they will mold to the exact shape of your head in a manner of minutes after you’ve laid down for the evening or a quick mid-afternoon nap. The pillows will also snap back to their regular shape after you’ve gotten up.
And while sleeping on a memory foam pillow will have you enjoying some much needed zzzzz’s, they can be difficult to keep clean. Here’s a few cleaning tips to help you keep your memory foam pillows in pristine condition:
- A few do not’s: Memory foam is very delicate and should never be put in a washer or dyer. The agitation from the washer and heat from the dryer can break down the material. You should also avoid traditional stain removers when cleaning your memory foam pillow as their harsh ingredients can also break down the material.
- A few dos: Use a gentle touch and gentle cleanser when cleaning your memory foam pillow. Be sure not to use too much liquid when cleaning. Moisture is easily trapped inside memory foam pillows and you don’t want your favorite pillow to become a breeding ground for bacteria and mold that can damage you and your loved one’s health. Remember, a little liquid will go a long way when cleaning your memory foam pillows.
- Don’t worry if you’ve accidentally spilled a bit of your bedside glass of water on your pillow. Simply grab a couple of bath towels and blot up the spill. Set the pillow aside until it gets completely dry. If its taking the pillow longer than you anticipated to dry, move it into a room with better air circulation or use a fan to speed the process along. A word of caution: Don’t put your memory foam pillow into a pillowcase before its completely dry to lessen the chance of any bacteria or mold forming on it.
- To remove odors or surface stains from your memory foam pillow, mix a small amount of cold water and a gentle cleanser together in a bowl. Dip a clean towel into the solution and wring out any excess moisture. Wipe the pillow gently from the outside of the stain inward. Repeat the process until the stain or odor has disappeared. Place the pillow in spot that has good air circulation so it will dry completely.
- Baking soda can also be used to remove pesky odors from your memory foam pillow. Simply sprinkle a bit of baking soda on your pillow and set it aside for a day or two. To remove any baking soda reside from your pillow, shake it or use your vacuum cleaner’s brush attachment to vacuum it up.
- Nature can also help you keep your memory foam pillow smelling and looking fresh. Sunlight is a great odor neutralizer and its free. Place your pillow outside in the sunshine for a couple of days to freshen it up at no cost and with no additional work to you.
- We all love our furry friends, but we also know that if they sleep in bed with us, accidents will sometimes happen. To remove pet urine odor and stains from your memory foam pillow, mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and lightly spray your pillow with it. Remember, memory foam pillows hold moisture, so less moisture is always better. Let the vinegar and water spray remain on the pillow for five minutes and then use a clean towel to blot until the pillow feels dry. Then, sprinkle some baking soda over the pillow and vacuum it up the next morning.
With proper care and maintenance, you’ll be sure to enjoy your memory foam pillows for years to come.